At the beginning of the game, your village's size measures 18x18 squares and contains the following buildings and decorations:
- Magic Rock (9x9 squares)
- 2 x Palm Trees (1x1 square each)
- 1 House for Rupert (3x3 squares)
- 1 Storage (500 + 500 Capacity) (6x6 squares)
The first Storehouse in your village is the usual storehouse that stores 500 of each resource. The added 500 capacity is a bonus that stays with the village, so in total you will have 1,000 storage capacity. If you put all Storage units in Inventory, you will still have 500 capacity for each resource.
The position of your Magic Rock is fixed in the top corner but you can move and rearrange other items.
As your Tiny Village develops you will soon need to increase its size to provide space for additional buildings or decorations. Tapping outside the borders of your village, or choosing expansions in the main shop menu, will bring up the expansion screen. This will tell you the cost of the expansion and the build time.
The first six expansions consist of a five or four square wide strip along the edge of your village. From the seventh expansion on they stabilise at three squares wide (but note warning above). Expansions alternate between the bottom right and left sides, thereby maintaining your village's square shape and leaving the Magic Rock at the top left. Each expansion after the seventh will also measure 9 squares larger in total area than the previous one.
When you choose to expand, you can opt to pay in or pay to instantly expand. If you opt for (as most will), a graphic will be displayed in your village indicating your expansion is in progress and the timer will begin to countdown until the expansion is complete. At any time, you can hurry the expansion to completion by using (the table below shows the initial cost to hurry the expansion to completion, which cost reduces as time goes by).
Only one expansion can be in progress at any given time. While an expansion is in progress, the expansion screen shows the current hurry cost and gives the option to complete the expansion immediately using crystals.
|#||Cost||Side||x dim||y dim||Extra Area||Cost/Extra Area||Total Area||Time||Hurry Cost||
- Instant Expand will skip the coin cost and the time needed for expansion
- Hurry Cost will only skip the time needed to complete but you still have to pay for the expansion.
- 6 new hidden expansions found during 40% discount sale in July 2013. Maximum village size now 79 x 79!!!
Promotions and discounts
- On 10 October there was a 30% one day discount of expansion hurry costs.
- During Anniversary Week Theme in November 2012, there was a one day sale with 25% off prices.
- 11 November 2012: 1 day 25% discount sale (coins and hurry costs)
- 25-27 November, 2012: 40% discount sale, including all hurry costs, as part of the US Thanksgiving celebrations.
- 15-16 January 2013: 50% discount sale on expansions, including all hurry costs
- 24 May 2013: 40% discount sale
- 13 July 2013: 40% expansion discount - includes 6 new free hidden expansions!!!
- 26 September 2013: 40% discount sale
- There are many reports of unexpected expansions that do not accord with the above table in that they are receiving an extra square on each side. For example, village sizes have been reported as follows:
- Expansion 23 = 56 x 59
- Expansion 30 = 68 x 68
- Expansion 32 = 71 x 71
- There are also reports of expansions that are not 3 squares wide on one side; rather some villages are expanding on both sides. Players may wish to consider expanding more quickly than planned.
- There have been many reports of cheaper than expected expansions. Discounts of 25% to 50% have been reported but there does not appear to be a pattern to these discounts.
- 17 August 2012: The time to complete for expansions numbered 12 to 32 changed
- On 23 August 2012, discounts and shorter build times for the 12th expansion onwards were made permanent by way of a notice on Tiny Village's facebook.
- 13 July 2013: 6 new free hidden expansions found during 40% discount promotion. Prices added on 16 July, inclreased on 18 July and again 20 July.
Warning Version 1.13
Kindle users that upgraded to version 1.13 experienced the serious "Expansion Never Finishes" problem. To see more information see problem 9 on this page. This problem has reportedly been fixed in version 1.13.1